Waterlilies and Lotuses in the New York Botanical Garden


My husband and I took a ride to the New York City borough of the Bronx this weekend to visit the New York Botanical Garden.  Like the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, the New York Botanic Garden has beautiful aquatic waterlilies and lotuses. The Waterlily and Lotuses Pool in the courtyard of the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory is a serene and magical place in summer. The colors and lingering aromas of these wonderful exotic flowers are a feast for the senses.


The lilies and lotuses were at their peak.


Their colors and shapes were exquisite!



As I walked around the lily pond pool I had a wonderful time photographing all the beautiful flowers.




They were all delightful....




...and a wonderful array of colors.



Dominating the tropical pool is the Victoria amazonica, the world's largest waterlily, whose leaves can span seven feet across!
.

The tropical pond also had a large array of the lotus, Nelumbo nucifera, which symbolize eternal life in Buddhism, and are called "sacred lotus" for that reason.


They shimmered in the sunlight.....




....and their buds and pods were so exotic to see.




Both of the botanical gardens in New York City are gems waiting to be discovered and enjoyed. Come back next post and I will show you the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden. 

May I ask a favor? Flowers have been on my mind quite a bit lately, as I'm in the middle of planning my daughter's spring time wedding, and I have also been visiting local florists to look at table centerpieces and floral decorations.  My daughter loves the color purple and wants it to be the predominate color of her arrangements.  If you have some suggestions for beautiful purple flowers, websites that have floral arrangements, or even general wedding websites, I'd be thrilled if you place them in your comments. Thanks!

I'm linking to "Mosaic Monday" with Mary of The Little Red House blog, and My World Tuesday with Klaus and all the My World contributors. Please visit their blogs and enjoy their special blog events!



Bookmark and Share