Earthquake and Fig Trees

Yes, I felt my whole house shake with the earthquake that occurred on the East Coast this afternoon! My house felt as if it was moving up and down and my chandelier began to swing slightly and my dishes were clinking in the kitchen cabinets. I didn't know what to do at first, but I quickly grabbed my phone and ran out to the front of my house and I saw most of my neighbors also running out of their homes.  It was definitely a scary situation!

Earthquakes are a common occurrence world wide, judging by this link on the United States Geological Society, but we don't often feel them here in New York. I heard an explanation that the East coast shakes much more at a lower magnitude and extends further from the epicenter because the crust under the East Coast is colder and firmer than the West Coast.  The epicenter of this earthquake was reported about 4 miles southwest of Mineral, Va., near Richmond, Virginia, and about 80 miles south of Washington, D.C. It was felt as far north as Boston, Massachusetts. The magnitude was rated between 5.8 and 5.9.

The video below shows the White House and the Capital Building in Washington DC, shaking during the earthquake. Direct link is here.




The East coast is also preparing for Hurricane Irene which is expected to come on shore by Thursday morning. The storm is expected to be traveling due north toward North Carolina as a Category 3 hurricane, meaning that it will have winds of 111 to 130 miles (178 to 209 kilometers) an hour in South Carolina and move up the coast towards New York by Sunday.  Mother Nature has certainly been keeping us busy!


The photos on my last post (click here) of figs on my fig tree generated a lot of interest, so I thought I'd show you exactly how I grow a fig tree in my small urban backyard. My tree is 15 years old and began as a sapling that a friend's Mom gave to me from a tree that was growing in her Brooklyn, NY, backyard.  Since my backyard is composed of cement and a wooden deck, I planted the tree in a large flower pot, and it has flourished ever since. I get about 100 to 150 figs a season, as long as the squirrels and birds don't eat them first.  I water the tree about three times a week, as tree roots that grow in a flower pot dry out more quickly than if they were planted in the ground. When all the leaves fall off in late October I roll the fig tree into my detached garage (if you double click on the photo above to enlarge it, you will see it is on a wheeled platform). Since the garage isn't heated I throw an old quilt over the tree to keep it warm.  In March or April, when danger of frost is less, I roll it out again and it will soon grow leaves.  Fig trees seem to do well in the cold New York City climate if they are planted near a house or building and protected from severe winds. If you live in a cold winter area I suggest that if you want to try to grow a fig tree you place it in a sunny spot close to your house and try to protect it in winter as best as possible. Click here to read an article about how to grow a fig tree in a cold climate


As you can see I grow quite a bit in flower pots. I guess this city girl is a frustrated gardener!

I am adding this post to Jenny Matlock's "Alphabe Thursday."  The letter this week is "S" -- I think shaking in an earthquake qualifies!



Bookmark and Share