Seeing Red Can Make Me Happy!


As you can see from these photos taken during the recent holidays around South Street Seaport, located in lower Manhattan, the sky in New York during late December through February is often a steely grey/white color.  It can make everything look very dreary. The lack of sunshine and the cold weather can make it easy to begin to feel glum. When that happens I try to look for something during the day to cheer me and restore my good spirits. (All photos will enlarge when clicked on once, and then again when they open on a new page)


Seeing the red door on this quaint store in the seaport made me feel happy.

As did this amusing scene:


As I walked down Fulton Street in the seaport I saw this little sparrow eying a plate of a red tomato seafood sauce over linguine which was placed next to a restaurant's menu board. Placing samples of actual food from the menu outside was obviously meant to entice customers to come inside to dine for lunch. The food definitely attracted this happy bird and his feathered friend seated on the top of the menu.


 I watched from a distance as the birds took turns nipping at the linguine. It was an unusual lunch for them and an unexpected sight for me that made me smile.


Another happy sight I saw that day was this red mobile New York Blood Center Truck. It was full of business people who were taking time during their lunch hour to donate blood. The New York Blood Center is the nation's largest community-based, non-profit, independent blood center, providing life-saving blood products, clinical and transfusion services to approximitly 200 hospitals in New York and New Jersey each and every day, potentially serving 20 million people! To accomplish this feat they rely on 2,000 volunteer donors every day.
Wherever you live in the world there is always a need for blood and blood products. This year consider making a donation to a blood bank in your community. It could save a life! It is a good way to turn a gloomy winter day into a productive one.

What is your happy color? I'd love to know!


I'm linking to Mary's "Mosaic Monday" on her blog The Little Red House and "Rednesday" on Sue's blog "It's a Very Cherry World"



Bookmark and Share