News from the Arctic


I do feel like I am living in the Arctic Circle this winter! My backyard outdoor table looked like this yesterday morning. We had received another 16 inches of snow overnight on top of the three we had received the prior day!  Many hours were spent shoveling snow both yesterday, and today.  It's getting to the point where we don't have anyplace to put the new snow. The snow that has fallen, since the day after Christmas, is still in high mounds and piles in my garden and near the curb. (All photos will enlarge when clickewd on once, and then clicked on again when they open on a new page)


Digging out our car and driveway was another big job.

This January has become the snowiest in the weather records books as an unprecedented 36 inches have dropped since Jan. 1. The record up to now was 27.4 inches, set in 1925. The typical snowfall for an entire New York City winter is just 22 inches. More snow is expected this weekend and another large snowstorm accumulation is expected next week! There is a side benefit to the almost constant snow fall as I am getting an upper body work out from pushing, lifting and tossing snow.  Jumping over slush on street corners or climbing over hills of snow is also giving my lower body a work out. No need to pay for a gym membership this winter, as Mother Nature has become my personal trainer. (Smile)


A friend gave me permission to show photos she took on her way to work yesterday, in the Flatiron/Gramercy neighborhood, in and around Madison Park. The freshly fallen snow looked beautiful for a few hours.  Unfortunately, so much snow in New York City has created major inconveniences for tourists, commuters, students and residents and has strained the snow removal budget. NYC sets aside $38 million a year for snow removal, but the city admits they spent more than that digging out of the post-Christmas blizzard alone!


A resilient New Yorker found the time and whimsy to build a snowman in the park -- I think its strange looking face is drawn on with a magic marker -- or is this Frosty supposed to look like it is laughing loudly over all our snow frustration?


Do you remember my blog post about Le Parker Meridien Hotel's annual Gingerbread Extravaganza displayed in the hotel's atrium during the Christmas season? I received an e-mail today from the Parker Meridien that the winning gingerbread was "King Kong" built by the hotel's own bakery, Norma. The exhibit was free, and voting was done by the visiting public, at a $1 a vote, with the money going to City Harvest. A total of $16,373 was raised this year for City Harvest, the world's first food rescue organization, dedicated to feeding the city's hungry men, women, and children.  I loved all the gingerbreads on display, with the theme this year of "Movies Made in New York City."  I will now admit that I also voted for King Kong to win!  Le Parker Meridien promises a bigger and better gingerbread display next year, and I'm looking forward to photographing it again.


Today mark's the sad 25th anniversary of the Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster. 

I'll always remember that I first heard the news of this disaster when I was picking up my daughter from pre-school.  In stunned disbelief I rushed home to watch the news on TV and saw videos of the horrible explosion that occurred 73 seconds after lift off being shown again, and again. I think everyone who witnessed this event was especially saddened by the loss of Christa McAuliffe, a teacher who was selected from more than 11,000 applicants to participate in the NASA Teacher In Space Project.  After her death, schools and scholarships were named in her honor, and in 2004 she was awarded the Congressional Space Medal of Honor.

To learn more about the Challenger Disaster you can watch this short film clip:


"The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' to 'touch the face of God.' "
 ~ President Ronald Reagan




I hope all is well, and winter is being kind where you are. Have a wonderful weekend!  I will be shoveling snow....again!


Bookmark and Share