Thrift Shopping in Williamsburg, Brooklyn


The north side of the Williamsburg neighborhood is known for it's young, single, and trendy "hipsters" populating this once industrial area of Brooklyn  Only a ten minute ride from Manhattan on the L subway line,  it's full of coffee shops, restaurants, art galleries, bars, and vintage markets and boutiques. Mixed in with the modest immigrant housing of the past are new high rise luxury condos and lofts. It's a fun place to walk around, window shop, and enjoy its urban energy.


Which is exactly what a friend and I were doing not long ago when we came upon this half open garage located at  567 Driggs Avenue, off North 6th Street with a view as far as our eyes could see of vintage used goods for sale. The store is appropriately named "JUNK,"  and is open 9 AM -9 PM, seven days a week.


How could we resist?  We had to walk in to browse along its aisles bursting with all kinds of antiques...

...and architectural salvage.  I'm glad I had my little pocket Cannon camera with me so I could show you a few of the items we saw.


I was especially fascinated by the very large selection of antique bottles and cans of all kinds and from all eras, complete with their vintage dust and dirt still adhered to them.  It is as if they had been unearthed in an archaeology dig, or more likely from a dark basement of a house torn down to make way for a new high rise.


We also saw aisle and aisles of vintage china and bric-a-brac.


Did we buy anything? Not really, as I'm trying to downsize my life right now and not add to my possessions, but it was an interesting place to poke around and explore.

If you are interested in visiting some flea markets and vintage shops in Brooklyn New York Magazine has locations listed on their web site for Williamsburg on this link, and the AOL real estate web site has a guide to Brooklyn Flea Markets and Thrift Shops on this link.

If you are looking for a really cool and convenient way to find an app for you I-Phone, I-Pad or Android device to help you shop, no matter where you live or travel, check out AppSmitten  and sign up for their free e-mail newsletter that will alert you to a variety of apps you can download for free or a nominal fee.  They include categories such as shopping, business, education, family, games, music, food, entertainment, health and fitness, photography, beauty, toddler and children's game and education, travel, news, social, etc.  I have been enjoying it to find educational apps for my grandchildren to use on my next visit.  They even have a free app I want to try for the popular Pinterest which "allows you to take photos of items you like (shoes, clothes, toys, even decorating ideas) for your wish lists or pin images you like from around the web. Add a location and your gift-buyers can easily locate them using the app." -source-App Smitten

There are over 1 million apps available right now in the world, and the list is growing all the time. Signing up to use the free appSmitten will enable them to deliver bite-sized app recommendations from a trusted source right into your e-mail box, so you don't have to go hunting to find good apps.

  *As full disclosure, I will receive a small one time fee for every new newsletter subscription.  Thanks in advance to all who subscribe and try this wonderful new service out!

I'm linking this post to "Seasonal Sundays" event on The Tablescaper's blog. "Mosaic Monday" event on Mary's Blog The Little Red House, and "Blue Monday" on Smiling Sally's blog. Thanks to all the blog hosts!


Bookmark and Share