Riding the Wonder Wheel!


As promised in my prior post about my visit to Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York last weekend, I'm going to take you along on a photographic ride in one of the swinging cars on Deno's Wonder Wheel, located at 3059 West 12th Street. Actually, it will be my husband's photos that you'll see once the ride begins, as I'm a big chicken and couldn't open my eyes for most of the ride.


This painted informational poster was on the wall next to the line entrance.  It presently costs $6 for one ride on the Wonder Wheel and you can choose to ride in either a stationary car or swinging car.


All of the white cars are stationary, and probably have the best view from the top as they stay on the outside track and do not swing.  I wanted to take one of these cars but my husband, who is the daring one and loves all amusement rides, talked me into going on the swinging car.  In the photo above we were just closed into our red car.  There are two benches in the car, both facing forward, and it can easily hold four adults. 


The line of people waiting to board.


We're going up!  We already started swinging into the inside track so I handed my camera to my husband as I was scared and wanted to close my eyes.


We're approaching the top of the wheel.


A view of some of the three miles of Coney Island beaches as we approach the top of the wheel.


The car ahead of us is beginning to descend on the track on the top...we're next!


Our turn!  Do you see the curved railing on each side?  The car we are riding in will roll onto those railings and swing forward...


Here we go!


The whole car swings forward and for a second you almost feel like it is going to fall off the track! My husband did a great job of keeping the camera steady for this shot.  I'm still covering my eyes and screaming.


Another view of the Coney Island amusements, beach, and the Atlantic Ocean as we swing on the Wonder Wheel!


On our way down again. You can also see some of the boardwalk in this photo. I was finally able to open my eyes for the second revolution of the ride.


The Wonder Wheel ride is really not a terrifying ride by today's standards and it was lots of fun.  If you visit Coney Island it's worth a ride just to say you were part of its 90 year history!

photo source:Vintage Brooklyn

I received quite a few comments about how crowded the Coney Island beach appeared in my prior post so I thought you might enjoy seeing this vintage Coney Island photo from 1931.  Brooklyn has always been a very populous borough of the city of New York, and presently there are over two and a half million people living here!  The Coney Island beaches are owned and maintained by the city, there is no charge for their use, and they are easily accessible by train. The Coney Island beaches have always been a popular destination for New Yorkers on a hot summer day!


Because there is some yellow in the Wonder Wheel and some of the other Coney Island sights in this post I am adding this post to Alphabe Thursday's Rainbow Summer School event on Jenny Matlock's blog "Off On My Tangent" Today the color is yellow!   Please visit Jenny and see the color yellow on hers, and all her participants' blogs!


Bookmark and Share