How Do You Stay Happy....$250 Sweepstakes!

A window in Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY


Do you ever feel like this? 

You have a million tasks on your "to do" list, errands to run, deadlines to meet, reports or blog posts to write.  You have much work to be done, yet you feel tired, worn out, and just plain blocked?


Windows along the NYC Highline Elevated Walkway

BlogHer posed the question "How do you stay happy and engaged while working?" to bloggers on their "Life Well Lived" editorial panel, and asked us to name in a few sentences one tip that we use to do just that.


Can you guess my answer?


Castle window in Ireland


The first thing I thought of was to open my windows -- pull up the blinds -- pull back the curtains and let the natural light and air fill my work area. 


Doing so never fails to invigorate me!


Window in Montauk Lighthouse, Long Island, NY

Even the smallest window can let in a large amount of natural daylight which helps chase away the doldrums and boredom which can drag me down. I always feel more productive when I work in good light.

Do you feel the same way?

 Window in Montauk, Long Island, NY

Taking a few moments to look outside my window and virtually stretch my vision and my thoughts to a distant vista can be as relaxing as a mini vacation.  It leaves me feeling refreshed and ready to get back to work.



Window in Officer's House, Governor's Island, NYC


Blogher's "Life Well Lived" Sustainable Happiness expert, Dr. Aymee Coget, shared her valuable tips for "4 Steps Toward Serenity While Working" which were:

  1. EMPOWER yourself to take charge of your own happiness
  2. FOLLOW YOUR HEART and ENGAGE your MAPS
  3. CONTROL your environment to the best of your ability
  4. BOOST your mood using positive mood boosting techniques
  5. Intrigued?  You can read more of what Dr. Amyee wrote on this link.  
While you are there please leave a comment and share the ways you help yourself, stay happy and engaged at work in the BlogHer comments section.  It is also a nice way to introduce new readers to your blog and find other interesting blogs to read!

You can also read the "Happy at Work" tips that other bloggers on the "Life Well Lived" panel suggested on this link.

Window of a house in Greenwich Village, NYC

Enter to win a $250 Visa gift card on the BlogHer "Life Well Lived Moments" Sweepstakes by leaving a comment on the general little moments in life that make you happy on the Sweepstakes page on this link.  The sweepstakes runs until November 16, 2011.  Wouldn't winning a $250 visa gift card be a happy occurrence, especially with the holidays coming soon?


Window of the American Indian Museum,
 formerly the Customs House, NYC

One of the things that brings me many happy moments in my life is to travel and discover new things -- whether it be in my neighborhood, in my city, or on a vacation far away.
In fact, I have been away the last two weeks in California, having a dream opportunity of driving up the Pacific Coast Highway with my husband from San Diego to San Francisco

It's always good to return home and now I have quite a bit to catch up on -- especially on all I missed on your blogs while I was away!  As soon as I download all my photos I'll be back with all the wonderful sights and some sounds that we experienced in sunny California -- even a earthquake tremor or two!