Blogher Book Club Review - A Jane Austen Education


A Blogher Book Club Review:
A Jane Austen Education: How Six Novels Taught Me About Love Friendship, and the Things That Really Matter, by William Deresiewicz

I admit I was never a fan of Jane Austen.  When I was required to read her novels as a high school student, I found her writing long and tedious.  I was more of a fan of the Gothic tales of the Bronte sisters, such as "Jane Eyre" and "Wuthering Heights."  They were dark, mysterious tales full of romance and danger, and Austen's works seemed bland in comparison. Yet many of my friends found Austen's novels enthralling, and now I see countless bloggers extolling the wonders of her books and the influences she had on their lives. That is why I was very interested to read William Deresiewicz's book that was provided to the Blogher Book Club Readers by Penguin Group.  I wanted to see the lessons that Deresiewicz, who was a a graduate student in Columbia University at the time he first read Austen, learned from her books, and exactly what I missed. 
 
Please CLICK HERE to go to the Blogher Book Club page to read my review.

 I also look forward to reading all the reviews for A Jane Austen Education  at The Blogher Book Club, as well as other books in the book club, I hope you will too!



Bookmark and Share