Denver's Saint Patrick's Day Parade!

I was in Colorado last week in order to visit this little leprechaun ...my grandson "L".  He was all dressed up in a shirt I bought for him in Ireland, even before I knew he was going to be a "he"'.  We had just found out my daughter-in-law was expecting not long before my husband and I visited Ireland in May 2008.  My little grandson is a blend of many nationalities but I think his drop of Irish blood shined through pretty well in this photo! What do you think? Last Saturday we all decided to go to Denver, Colorado's, 48 annual Saint Patrick's Day Parade that was held on March 13, 2010.

(all photos will enlarge when clicked on -- use "back" arrow to return to post)

Being a life long resident of New York City, I've been to many a wonderful Saint Patrick's Day Parades in New York, but The Denver St. Patrick’s Day Parade bears the reputation as the largest parade west of the Mississippi River and one of the largest in the United States.  Over three hours long and with over 200 individual units massed together in a parade of 10,000 plus participants, they wind through the streets of Lower Downtown Denver entertaining an audience of over 200,000 viewers.  As you can see in the photo mosaic above, there were many traditional floats and marchers such as Bagpipers, Emerald Societies, Irish dancers, etc.


This parade also honored World War II Iwo Jima veterans who rode by in vintage cars to the applause and cheers of the crowd.


There was also a very fun, retro theme, Star Wars float for the Denver's Wings Over The Rockies Air and Space Museum.  It was really a crowd pleaser for both young and old!


There was definitely also a fabulous wild west theme to the parade!  Where else but in Denver would you see cowboys, longhorn cattle, alpacas and stage coaches riding by?

As a little girl of five I wanted to grow up to be a cowgirl.  I'm sure it was the influence of watching Dale Evans, Hopalong Cassidy, Rin Tin Tin, and the Lone Ranger on TV.  It may be many years later but I still get excited to see anything "Wild West" and Denver's parade made me realize that Irish Americans may have immigrated through Ellis Island in New York, but the lure of the west called to them over the years, and they are also a part of its history.

Finally, what would a parade be without clowns? The Colorado Clowns were well represented, which is why in this sea of Saint Patrick's Day green I found a little PINK for Pink Saturday!

Happy (post) Saint Patrick's Day!  If you'd like to read the interesting history of Saint Patrick see this link on the Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade web site.

Happy Pink Saturday! Be sure to visit Beverly at the How Sweet The Sound blog to see a list of blogs participating today with all 'their wonderful pink discoveries!




Bookmark and Share